A brow lift is a plastic surgery procedure to improve the appearance of the facial region between the upper eyelids and the scalp, extending to the temples. The procedure improves low placement or sagging of the brows, and minimizes the appearance of lines and creases in the forehead. These conditions may be due to heredity or can be attributed to the natural aging process. In some people repeated facial expressions that are created by contraction of underlying muscles result in visible creases and deep furrows. A brow lift can:
- Reduce furrows and other signs of aging in the forehead and brow areas, creating a softer, relaxed and rejuvenated facial appearance
- Minimize the creases that develop across the forehead, or those that occur high on the bridge of the nose, between the eyes
- Improve what are commonly referred to as "frown lines" -vertical creases that develop between the eyebrows
- Reposition a low or sagging brow that is hooding the upper eyelid
- Raise the eyebrows to a more alert and youthful position
Brow lift surgery can be performed through multiple limited incisions hidden within the hairline or through a single incision in the natural crease of each upper eyelid. Results of a brow lift may be enhanced through laser resurfacing or a chemical peel that can further improve skin tone and surface appearance. When there is significant excess skin in the forehead, an alternate technique using a wide incision across the top of the scalp may be recommended.
A brow lift can be performed alone or in conjunction with other rejuvenation procedures such as eyelid surgery or a facelift. The procedure is best suited for adult men and women whose facial tissue and muscles are in good condition and who have realistic goals for rejuvenation of the upper face.
Good candidates are:
- Healthy individuals who do not have a life-threatening illness or medical conditions that can impair healing
- Individuals with a positive outlook and specific goals in mind for improvement of a low, sagging or furrowed brow